- About Us
- For Realtors
- Contact Us
Picture Perfect: Hanging Artwork
There's nothing like a freshly painted room, and the fun (although some of you may argue the use of the word "fun") of redecorating a room. Re-hanging your art and photography can be made a little less intimidating through planning, and more importantly, choosing the right art for the right wall space.
- Ensure all of the furniture and lighting is in it's final location in the new space plan; do not hang a single piece of art until this is determined. Art should always be hung in relation to what is directly in front of it.
- Collect pieces you love that relate to the rooms' decor; be choosy.
- Start with the focal point wall, and the piece you want to be the "star" in the room (usually this is a piece of art over the mantle, or on another choice focal wall).
- Move on to the secondary walls - analyze what is in front of them and hang the piece/grouping in relation to it.
- Not every section of wall needs to be "filled" - leave a place for the eye to rest as it travels around the room.
General Tips for Planning
- If you plan to hang a decorative mirror as art, make sure it is hung where it can reflect something beautiful.
- Light it properly - you can't enjoy art if you can't see it!
- Hang art at eye level or just above eye level. (Different "eye levels" in the family? Use 60" from the floor to the center of the piece of art as a guide to how high the art should be hung.)
- Use vertical arrangements for cathedral ceiling rooms and narrow strips of wall.
- When in doubt, follow the angles of the room/ceiling.
- Small pictures almost always need to be hung lower.
- The bolder the art, the more room it needs to "breathe."
- Wall shelves offer maximum flexibility - you can change out your displays with out worrying about nail holes or touching up paint.
- Bear in mind the paint color/pattern of the wall - does it clash with the art you selected?
- Hang art with a friend - it's easier!
A little planning and patience will help guarantee successful art placement and bring new life to your room.